Friday, August 26, 2016

Another year, another beach sand sculpture!

We recently returned from our annual visit to Maine.  My son and his girlfriend joined us for the weekend, and helped build the annual beach sand sculpture!  We are not sophisticated sand sculptors; we bring a couple of shovels and try to do something large and silly.  That's it!
 Last year, my son wasn't feeling well, and without his help, the project was a big flop.  We needed to redeem ourselves this year!  So we built this rather large silly fish named Gladys.  As you can see in the photo below, she had a barrier moat surrounding her, which protected her from the incoming tide.
My son, his girlfriend, and my husband did all the digging, while I took a walk on the beach (and found kelp for her lips!).  Then, when the pile of sand was big enough, I began the structure.  My son and girlfriend helped a lot at this point, too,especially in shaping they eyes and tail, and cleaning the area around her.  It is definitely a collaborative effort each year! 
 When we left the beach, some kids were climbing on it.  I was sure between the kids and the tide, there would be nothing left the next day.  We did return the next day, and the moat was gone, the logs had moved, but there was still a large pile of sand, where kids played throughout the day!!
I have other photos from the trip to Maine I'd love to share, but I'll save them for another post!  If you'd like to see some prior beach sculptures, check out these posts from 2014, from 2013, from 2012, and from 2011.   And here we are, below, the whole low-tech beach sculpture team!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Introducing The Artful Advocate!

Hello loyal blog readers!  I want to take a moment to introduce you to a brand-new blog, The Artful Advocate

I'm currently serving on an advocacy committee for my state art education association, and, as the only experienced blogger on the committee, I offered to develop a blog offering tips and ideas about advocacy, to help art educators!  The blog entered the blogosphere just yesterday.  I hope you'll be able to find lots of useful ideas and resources on this blog.  That doesn't mean you'll be seeing less of There's a Dragon in my Art Room; this blog will remain my favorite place to share lesson ideas, art projects, opinions on topics of art education, and my personal artistic pursuits with you, my readers.  The new blog is serving an entirely different, but equally important purpose. 

I hope you'll stop in and visit often, follow, and add the new blog to your reader!  Thanks!!